The Gordo Blogga

Formerly known as "Untying the Gordian Knot"

Monday, August 23, 2004

On the title/name of this blog

I hate titles. It always seems more important than it really is to come up with a good name that will reflect the exact nature of the object in question.

The title for this blog came easier than I expected. It seemed all too logical to compare the attempt to understand the world at large with the attempt to untie the Gordian Knot. In other words impossible.

Interestingly enough the Gordian Knot was untied, although not by conventional means. That is another aspect of this legend that I really like - the idea that an impossible problem can be solved by a different approach. It is another reason why the title is quite fitting.

Finally, the person who untied the knot, Alexandar the Great, used pragmatism to solve the problem. He wasn't interested in the intricacies of the knot, but merely to untie it by any means necessary. I like that approach to the world... solve a problem at hand by the easiest and most logical approach. Cheating or not he untied it.

References: I will post references whenever I get information from other sources. My mind mostly tends to act like an index. I will remember the basics, but will need to look up details on most things. In this case I read up on the story of the Gordian Knot at the following location.
http://www.maa.org/devlin/devlin_9_01.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home