The Gordo Blogga

Formerly known as "Untying the Gordian Knot"

Friday, July 22, 2005

Like it wasn't obvious

A number of studies on the background and motivation of suicide bombers have concluded that basically "It's Not Who We Are, It's What We Do". People with common sense already knew that, but actual studies are always a good idea.

This is a really good article which examines terrorist attacks, US foreign policy and discusses possible short term solutions. I especially found interesting Wolfowitz's purported thinking regarding terrorism and Iraq - we should withdraw from Saudi Arabia, but that leaves the region destabilized (especially with Saddam still around). So, we remove Saddam and withdraw from Saudi Arabia into Iraq. Not an ideal solution, but I can see why it was seen as a good/necessary strategic move. A large contingent of US troops will be stationed in Iraq (about as central as you can get in the Middle East) to stabilize this volatile and (my) precious region.

Long term it makes a lot of sense and could justify the short term loss of life. Ah, a controversial statement!! That's what politics is all about though - do we lose a 1,000 lives today to save 100,000 in the long term? The biggest problem, of course, is that we need to lose those 1,000 lives now in order to potentially save 100,000 lives later. Hard decisions, but someone has to make them.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Rama said…

    you're comments remind me of a little phrase I like to repeat (and I get to say it again... yay!) "There is no justification of sacrificing one for many, nor many for one. But sometimes sacrifices must be made."

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger z said…

    Well said.

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger nell said…

    I dislike rationalizing things like this because there are no guarantees of what cost there is now and what benefit there will be later. ONe of the reasons I can never fully support much of anything. I'm too wussy, but at least I can admit it, and at least it makes sense to me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home