The Gordo Blogga

Formerly known as "Untying the Gordian Knot"

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Fascinating protest

Kristian von Hornsleth, a Danish artist, donates livestock to Ugandan villagers in exchange for them taking up his last name. He aims to illustrate how most of aid to Africa usually comes with various conditionals. Comments from villagers:

"George Sabadu Hornsleth is grateful for the pig he got. “I never had a pig, I was jobless apart from some land,” the 46 year-old said. “Africans adopting European names for gifts—that’s nothing new. We’ve been doing that since colonial times. Why do you think I’m called George?”"

"“We don’t care about his idea, the art. We care about the benefits,” said David Sendulya Hornsleth, 29. “We can have a hundred new names if each brings us further out of poverty.”"

1 Comments:

  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger Rama said…

    A part of me likes this idea, of exposing the conditional "hey I'll help you, but first you need to..."

    Another part of me approves of conditional aid, since a give-take relationship is better than a handout (teach a man to fish...)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home